From:
Rick Roller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 19:22:34 -0600
It seems my comments about protecting your ferrets by caging them when you
are not home has ruffled some feathers out there, but has also gotten many
positive responses.

You know the neat thing about opinions is this, "everyone has one, but
you only have to listen to the ones you like."  Some of you took it quite
personal and It was not meant to attack anyone.  But on the other hand, if
a reader, who happen to be a recent ferret owner, read the article and did
not know if it was right or wrong to cage your ferret when your they are
away.  Well, as a ferret owner that was my opinion.

Some of you may disagree with me and God bless America, that is your right.
But, as I stated in my writing, I deal with many lost ferret phone calls.
I see many lost ferret ads on the FML.  Could of any of these lost ferrets
been prevented by caging them while the owner was away?  Probably some, but
no not all.  But some is better than none.

As for the responders who seem to curse the thought of caging ferrets as a
sign of lack of love for your animals, well, that is up to the individual to
decide.  If you can feel right about leaving your ferret run free all day
while your away.  Then so be it.  YES, people leave dogs and cats out all
day.  But, dogs and cats don't have the curse of being extremely curious.
When was the last time a dog climbed out of a dryer vent and ran away?
Plus you have to remember in most cities, dogs and cats have collars and
licenses.  If they are found wondering the streets and picked up, they have
a good chance of being returned to their rightful owner.  On the other hand,
ferrets, will be either euthanized immediatly or their is no way to tell who
the owner is (ANOTHER PLUG FOR MICROCHIPING), plus there are many, many more
preditors out there that will attack and kill a ferret (cats, dogs, and just
like those pieces of garbage in Provo).

Do I feel guilty about caging my critters, no, because I cage them in a
4' x 4' plywood ferret city I built for them in the basement.  It has
several ramps, floors, houses, tubes, trampolines, and wall to wall carpet.
I understand not all people can do this, but I don't want to loose any of
them.  When I got my first ferrets I was one of those people who did not
want to cage my critters and Roscoe, my boy, got away when we moved into a
new apartment.  He turned up several months later.  A neighbor had taken
him in but never responded to our flyers we put out.

This is something I also believe, it was horrible what happen in Provo.  My
heart goes out to Ms. Marsh and her loss.  But, you must always try to learn
from lifes lessons.  I learned from my loss and have never lost a ferret
since.  I know have six, but at any given time can have close to twenty in
our shelter.  I have two three level cages for our guests to stay in, plus
other accomadations when necessary.

To conclude this I will say again, you have your opinions and I am glad you
stand by them.  But until you have sat on the phone with a frantic person
who has come home to find their ferret gone and there is nothing you can
tell that person except keep looking.

Rick
United Ferret Organization (excluding Mass)