From:
"Ronald L. Sims" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:03:06 -0600
Dear FML & BIG:
just Fuzzy observations and information?
1. Last Monday morning, my family insisted that I go to the hospital 30
   miles away.  Was given oxygen and taken to Saginaw St.Mary's Hospital.
   My family's quick action resulted in my having immediate treatment
   which prevented any serious effects from a stroke.
2. Just got back from Saginaw and started with Ferret-L Digest 30 Mar,
   2000 to 31 Mar 2000.  Just great BIG, keep up the good work.
3. Because of disasterous ending to using another "less expensive
   ferret food (Purina Lab Diet for Ferrets) which caused hemorraghing in
   every organ of 7 of our beloved ferts to test this food died in 4
   days.  Therefore, I/We will only use Totally Ferret Ferret Food, which
   was made specifically for ferrets.  Since we are a non- profit shelter
   (Sunshine Ferretry & Shelter/Rescue; Oscoda, MI) we are able to have
   the food shipped direct to us from Performance Foods.
4. For other shelters and all other owners of ferts, you may contact
   Performance Foods at the following address:

                  Performance Foods
                  3001 Industrial Lane Unit 4
                  Broomfield, Colorado  80020
                  Ph: 303-410-1101
                  Fax:303-410-1881
                  email: [log in to unmask]
   It might be possible to have your local petfood store order for
   you and others in your area, but call and see what can be done for
   you.  They are extremely helpful and always pleasant to deal with.
5. For all of you whose fuzzies have gone to the Rainbow Bridge, we
   send our heartfelt condolances to you.  Rest assured that the Great
   Architect of the Universe receives the spirits of all the departed, and
   we shall all be reunited one day and never seperated again.
6.  We have had some severely abused fuzzies come through here, but
    those who did bite (like Lucky who weighed 1.5 lbs when we got him,
    and he was frightened of all humans, as the previous owner who stood
    approx 6 foot tall and weighed approx 200 lbs.  stated that when Lucky
    got out of his cage, he would go after the owner and the "brave" owned
    would kick this 1.5 lb. ferret).  Lucky got his name from our vet who
    stated :"He is Lucky that you rescued him from the previous owner".
    When Luck bit, he used every ounce of his power.  When he left here he
    weighed over 5 lbs, and he wasn't the biter that he had been.  We used
    bitter apple (Lucky loved it).  Finally, we used very heavy snowmobile
    gloves, which Lucky could not bite through, and he learned that some
    humans can be kind and loving and that he had nothing to fear anymore.
    Slapping a ferret on the head only makes them more anxious, and biting
    is the only means of protection that they have, and therefore hitting
    a ferret is only detrimental to behavior change.

Peace to all and may the Peace of God which passes all understanding,
give you peace in your hearts and minds and souls.
Rev. Ron Sims, D.D. & Family of 8 humans, 13 ferrets, 5 dogs and 2 cats