Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 23:55:51 -0700
>P.S. As I write this, 2 racoons are growling and wrestling over food on
>one side of the porch-knocking over chairs: and a young racoon is sitting
>in the large glass bowl of water on the opposite side.
>God sure makes cool stuff!

Raccoons carry a dangerous parasite called bayliscarias ascrid (round
worm).  As cute as raccoons may be to some, they can also be extremely
deadly.  The parasite's destination is to get into the brain of any animal.
They affect primarily squirrels & rabbits, but have also been responsible
for the death of human infants and one human adult.

The parasites are ingested, enter the blood stream and head for the animals
brain where they live and grow until the animal dies.  While ferrets
don't usually eat grass, they could still be at risk.  I'd advise against
encouraging raccoons to visit your home.

God also makes some very dangerous stuff.
Sandi

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
House Rabbit Society
a non-profit animal shelter
14325 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125