From:
"Anna M. Adam (Spear)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 1995 22:09:07 -0500
Hello again from that crazy woman who took on a very large task... the
keeper of the Ferret Name Database. As you may or may not know, I've been
working on putting together a list of names people have chosen for their
ferrets.  I posted a similar fact list back mid June. I've added a lot more
names since then so I thought it was about time for another update.

Last June we had 149 owners with a total of 529 ferrets. That averaged 3.6
ferrets per person. As of Sunday, October 22, at about 8:40pm, we have 239
owners with a total of 766 ferrets! The average has gone down a tad to 3.2
per person. In June we had 265 females and 246 males (15 I didn't know). Now
we have 384 females and 363 males (19 I don't know).

The most popular name is STILL Bandit. We've got ten now and one Bandita.
Other popular names include Baby (5), Slinky (4), Taz (4), Shadow (5,
including one albino!), Misty (4). Popular variations include Bear (11),
Maggie (5), Nikki (15), Buster (5),  Max (5). There were many doubled and
tripled names, too many to mention each...

The rest of the info is pretty much the same as from June so if this looks
familiar...

The most common TYPE of name would be the stereotypical ferret personality
names, Bandit, Snitch, Mischief, Mayhem, Chaos, Havoc, Total Disaster,
Pandemonium... you get the idea. On the flip side, Debbie Riccio had names
like Angel, Halo, and Heaven.

The longest names belonged to Stella Bobell McMousechild, and Baron Von
Dudley d'Ferret, both of which made me have to modify the structure of my
database to make room for their names. We had a lot of two letter names for
the shortest names listed.

I thought it was amusing the Irene PLITZ and Kathy FRITZ both had ferrets
named Buddy. I think we have one owner that was kinda hungry when she named
her ferrets... Heather Bilicki gave four names: Pretzel, Twinkie, Kit Kat,
and Pickle. We have a ferret named after a tranquilizer (Xanex), as if
ferrets are any but tranquil. We have a ferret named after a vending machine
tea found in Japan (Pekoe). Another unusual name was ANSI.SYS and yes, it's
supposed to be in all caps, M.Q. Pippin told me so!

We also had a couple of sports ferrets, Rockets and Magic. YEA ROCKETS!!!
Needless to say, those two did not have the same owners. :)

The winner for the most names contributed goes to Kathy Fritz with 42 names!
Troy Eckart came in second with 30. The least number contributed would be
from all of you that haven't given me your ferrets' names yet! Well, that's
about it. I couldn't possibly list all the unusual and original names I've
found. Just wanted to give you guys a little statistics on the list. Enjoy!!

~ahn (owner number one)