From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 08:07:10 -0500
FYI the USDA petition is primarily the work of Dr. Sandra Kudrak,
currently working at an animal hospital in Poughkeepsie NY.  Dr. Kudrak
was instrumental in getting an 8-week age of sale bill passed in Maine,
and is working towards a similar bill in NY.

Below is an email (posted with permission) she sent to the USDA.  It is
worth noting that her contacts at the USDA have been very helpful in
guiding her through the process of filing the petition.  This letter,
and the complete petition are also on the IFC web site.

If you decide to write to either the USDA or your congressmen, please
remember to be polite and professional!!

Linda Iroff
Co-director
International Ferret Congress
http://www.ferretcongress.org
   -------

March 12, 2004

Dear Ms. Veneman and Mr. Acord:

My name is Sandra Kudrak, and I am a veterinarian currently practicing
in New York.  Through the years, I have developed a strong professional
and personal interest in ferrets as pets and as research animals.

Several years ago, it came to my attention that an inordinate number
of ferrets I saw in the pet stores appeared ill and unthrifty.  At
that time, I launched a research study to examine these animals, and
discovered that approximately 40% of ferret kits being offered to the
public for sale had signs of clinical illness: pneumonia, diarrhea,
emaciation, prolapsed rectums, and other conditions.  Part of this
study examined the age of the animal at the time of transport, and I
was shocked to discover many of these kits were only 6-7 weeks old.

Some had unhealed surgical incisions from their recent neutering
surgeries, and many had only kit dentition, and were unable to chew
the hard kibbled food offered to them.  Having been weaned from their
mothers at an unnaturally young age (8 weeks is the normal weaning age
for ferret kits, similar to puppies and kittens), a large number of
these animals were developing behaviour abnormalities as well.

I began to research the protection offered these animals through the AWA,
and discovered that they are not well protected at all, with no species
specific requirements.  I was surprised at this, since they are one of
the most popular housepets in America.

After speaking to many other veterinarians and ferret-related groups,
I realized that this is a widespread problem with significant consumer
and financial concerns.  I began to work with a number of groups to
alleviate the problem, and was able to pass an age related bill in the
State of Maine to help protect consumers from the sale of these unthrifty
underaged animals.  A similar bill has been passed in New Hampshire, and
one is underway in Maryland as well as other states.  I have also put
together a committee of veterinarians to discuss possible revisions to
the Animal Welfare Act that would provide species specific protection to
ferrets.  I would be happy to share that information with you, or anyone
on your staff that you might have investigate this project.

Given the widespread concern on the part of ferret owners and ferret
groups, we have submitted a formal petition to your office asking this
problem be addressed.  Only a small number of the interested groups
and individuals are represented on that petition - there are many more
consumers that have contacted myself and the others listed on the
petition with their concerns.

The formal petition will be arriving in your office shortly by certified
mail.  I would be most happy to act as a liason between your offices,
the involved ferret groups, the working committee of veterinarians, and
the public to find a speedy resolution to this problem.

Please feel free to contact me at any time with your thoughts or
questions.

I appreciate your time, and hope you will investigate this matter
thoroughly, and immediately.

Sincerely,
Sandra C. Kudrak, DVM, DABVP
Community Animal Hospital