From:
Jaclyn Savolainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:11:17 EDT
I'm a new ferret owner, with a male kit named Caesar.  My husband and I
bought him on a whim a little over a week ago, after we fell in love with
him at .  Anyway, I'm trying to learn all I can to provide Caesar a good
healthy life in a loving home, and I quickly discovered ferrets are illegal
in New York City!  I want to take him to a vet to check him over and get
him his next set of shots, but I don't know how to find a vet to take care
of an illegal pet.  Are there any other NYC owners out there with
references?  Please write to me directly.

I'm also wondering if Caesar might be deaf, as he doesn't respond to any
type of sound - squeaky toys, voice, thumps, even pretend growling and
hissing.  Is this common?  His health certificate says he is approximately
6 weeks old and already spayed.  That seems awfully young to be spayed, and
I don't see any sign of surgery so if it's true he must have been REALLY
young.  Is that safe?

I must admit that I've gotten nervous reading so many sad stories about ill
ferrets on the Ferret List.  Are they so very prone to serious illnesses?

Wish me luck,
Jaclyn