From:
Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 21:25:54 -0500
Wow, two PFRA posts in one day :-)

I don't breed, so I can't/won't address that part of the issue. However, on
the issue of adopting out shelter ferrets at shows, we do have an opinion.

It is not the practice of selling/adopting out ferrets at shows that should
be criticized.  What should be criticized is anyone who *irresponsibly*
adopts out at a show.

I can't think of a better place to adopt out a ferret than at a ferret show.
Think about it: someone interested in adopting a ferret actually is aware of
shows, aware of shelters, knows of local people who can answer questions (or
if they're not from the town the show is being held in, they can get info at
the show about who might be local to them).  There is a great deal of
information at shows and so many people to talk to who can educate.  Even
after running my shelter for the past four years, I still learn something
new at every show I go to, just by meeting new people.  So, in general,
someone who's come to a show to get a new ferret has at least demonstrated
initiative to find out about the show/ferret community in the first place.

Now, there can be people who come to a show that still really shouldn't own
a ferret (sadly, they probably already do).  So how do you control them
buying a ferret at a show?  That's up to the shelter/rescue to determine.
As anyone who knows about my shelter knows, it's not easy to adopt a ferret
from me.  And once you've proven to me that you deserve to own a ferret, you
need to prove that you are the right person for the *specific* ferret for
adoption (you can be a good ferret owner but not be the right owner for
every kind of ferret).  Once you've satisfied me of that, you need to
understand that you don't take my ferret and close the book.  I expect to
maintain some kind of relationship/contact with each person that adopts a
ferret from me.  I want to know how the ferret is doing, I want to know
if/when he gets sick.  I want to know when the ferret passes away and from
what.  It is stated in my adoption contract that by signing the adoption
contract, you give permission for me to contact your vet once a year to make
sure that you are providing vaccinations and good medical care.  I also
provide a number of services (grooming help, boarding, show prep, and fun
events) that encourage adoptive parties to stay in contact.

I'm getting ahead of myself here. My point is, it doesn't matter where I
meet an adoptive party, they must satisfy these requirements. If I am in
doubt, or haven't had enough time to get to know an adoptive party at a
show, I'll put the adoption off until I can get to know them better.

I've seen at shows shelters that approve an adoption the moment the party
puts the money down.  This is wrong.  Case in point: at a recent show, a
friend of mine walked up to a table, handled a ferret, was asked no
questions at all by the person running the shelter.  As soon as my friend
said "I'll take the ferret" the deal was done.  Now, in this particular
case, the ferret wound up in a wonderful home--but the person who adopted
this ferret out took no steps to know this.  But the fault here is not the
practice of allowing the sale of ferrets at shows, it's the fault of the
shelter for not taking the time to screen.  Banning the sale of ferrets at a
show will not stop this, because I would assume that these same shelter
directors would adopt a ferret out in the same manner out of their shelter.
I say again: in general, a ferret show is a great place to offer ferrets for
sale; this is assuming that those selling the ferrets are doing their part
in being responsible.

I have adopted ferrets from shows before, I actually prefer to do so,
because the ferrets are needy and there is a great selection.  I haven't
acquired any ferrets this way in several years, simply because I now run my
own shelter and don't need to.  However, I will never forget adopting Ricky
and Sassy (Rest in sweet peace) from FACT at Ferret Expo four years ago.
They were quite thorough in screening me, and I sat on the floor of the show
hall for literally over an hour, holding and playing with them to make sure
that they were what I was looking for, learning their personality and
letting them learn mine.  It was a great match, and if it weren't for that
show I'd never have met these ferrets, since they came from Connecticut.

Just my .02....This is just my preference; I again do not criticize anyone
for their own personal feelings. I just like to offer a different
perspective.

Kymberlie Becker Barone
Director, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love...There's nothing Greater than Ferret Love!" TM
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferretlady