From:
Ann Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 14:58:51 -0500
I have to say that I *totally* agreed with every statement in your last
post, re: descenting and early altering.

Just to add a little info/opinion to the early alter topic.  Hopefully not
fuel to the fire.

Many humane and shelter organizations really push early altering of
companion animals like cats and dogs simple because of the population
crisis.

Most people who keep various mammals as pets, who are not involved in
breeding, will agree (myself included) that an animal that has been altered
is a much better companion simply because the animal's sexual urges do not
run it's life and they make better pets.

I don't know if any of you have had a tom cat, a stallion or a dog around a
fertile member of the opposite sex - but they certainly are responding to a
call - and it isn't our voice!

Interestingly enough, I've had more then one vet tell me that in a perfect
world where strays and unwanted litters were not rampant, they'd perfer to
wait until an animal is mature before altering to ensure that the animal is
able to complete growth and development.

Ann