From:
April Vannatta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 11:57:18 -0500
I've been to the Ferrets Unlimited shelter too. Three times. EVERY
time I was there, cages were clean, all ferrets had food and water,
ferrets were having their out-of-cage times rotated, etc etc etc.

I remember being SO impressed on my first visit at how clean it was,
even though there were already so many ferrets there (90+ I think?).

Jean cleans all the time, day in and day out. She makes sure ALL the
ferrets are okay every day, and takes special care of the sick ones.
She cleans litterboxes daily, feeds and waters all the ferrets daily,
goes to the vet whenever she needs to.

I think anyone who has never BEEN to the shelter, or met Jean,
shouldn't be so quick to talk about how she must be neglected the
ferrets in her care. She is NOT. Three of my ferrets were in her care
for two and a half weeks when we hit hard times this summer. When we
came back to get them, I had NO complaints about the care they received
while they were there. I wasn't happy that they had to stay there for a
while...but if they couldn't be with me, then there was no one in the
world better than Jean for them to be with.

Jean has run this shelter for thirteen years or so. That's thirteen
years of rescuing unwanted, abused, neglected ferrets. She has done
so much for so many. WHY the ferret community can't come together and
help her get in her building, is something I surely don't know. If the
shelter were in the new building, it would be eligible for government
grants to keep the shelter running. That way Ferrets Unlimited would
not HAVE to rely on non-existant donations from the so-called "ferret
lovers" of Ohio.