From:
Risa Di Vincenzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 23:40:10 -0500
Hello (-:

Need to tell you about two sweet fuzzgals who I was transporting to the
Gimmee Shelter but were in my care for a bit of time.  Laverne and
Shirley were originally adopted from Jan's shelter in the fall of 2000,
but about two years later the new owner gave them up to a teacher who
kept them in her classroom with special education students.  The school
now has an allergic student and the ferrets had to go.  Their age is
estimated to be about five years old.  Jan's heart was breaking thinking
thse "old timers" were losing another home.  Well, I'm being careful not
to tell them, because it is clear they don't know!  They are very social,
happy, well adjusted little gals!  I brought them to my ferret's
"vacation home" which is my old bedroom at my parents house.  They were
not scared or timid at all.  They were very friendly with my parents and
I, and tolerated being held, pet, and kissed.  Unfortunately although the
teacher gave them their annual vacinnations, their health was otherwise
neglected.  Laverne had an enormous tumor off her shoulder, it would
repeatedly scrape upon things, be an open sore, and then scab over.  Very
sad to see, especially on such a petite little gal, it overwhelmed her a
bit.  But she didn't let it stop her from being a ferret.  The two of
them hurried about the room, checking everything out - with Laverne
climbing everything she could!  They each had their favorite things.
When Laverne discovered crinkley bags (what excitement!) she danced
around and hopped on Shirley to initiate play.  Shirley was busy having a
solo blast in the tube (what fun!).  Didn't seem to matter that nobody
was chasing her - it was cool anyways!  Well, my parents cared for them
overnight and I went back home to my own little fuzzgals.  The next day
after work I was craving to go see Laverne and Shirley.  They were both
snuggled together in the cage (very happy in my ferrets split hammock
even though I had also hung their old ones for familiar scents).  They
are so sweet!  This day they were really ready for some loving.  Shirley
kept coming over for snuggles, and Laverne actually rested in my arms
with her head laying across my elbow.  I was melting!

In addition to her tumor, Laverne had trouble eating.  You could see her
discomfort when trying to eat kibble, and she couldn't use one side of
her mouth.  When Jan got her to the vet she was found to have a bad tooth
that was removed.  After some TLC and duck soup Laverne can now chomp
kibble again.  However, she was also found to be insulinomic and this
little gal has more battles ahead!  These are truly special little gals
(and they give kisses!  More to my Mom than me, but that's ok (-:).  I
really want their next home to be the best forever home.  I wish for them
an owner who will take them in, care for them, and give them all the love
they deserve!  Later when I went to tuck them back in their cage before
leaving I had to find their cozy sleeping spots.  I have a row of laundry
baskets under the bed for dirty laundry that I haul to my parents house
and need to wash.  This is where little Laverne was, in the basket with
my ferrets dirty bedding.  I really think she's ready to meet other
ferrets in her forever home!  I wrote the above when they were at my
parents house.  I had them for just under two weeks, and was truly
getting attached.  Even my parents suggested I keep them, but I'm at my
limit (still working on Mikette's health).  These fuzzgals are very
loving sweethearts, they welcome new humans so trustingly and happily.
These are very social little fuzzgals that are really surviving all that
they have been through!  They truly have a lively spirit and love of
life, despite how much they've been bounced around to different homes and
environments.  They are still so playful and ready for ferret fun!  When
I spent an evening sorting laundry they turned it into a party.  They
really made me laugh!  Laverne discovered the pink teddy bear on my bed
and was moving it around the room despite the fact that it's 3 times her
size!  They are also so cute together, when I gave them their vitamin
paste some would usually end up on Laverne's nose, and Shirley would come
over and kiss it off for her!  They slept separate on free room roam but
cuddled around each other when in the cage.  I am so glad Jan has taken
these little ones back in and given them the care that they deserve, as
well as the new lease on life that they are so ready for.  This care of
course comes at a great cost to the Gimmee Shelter.  The shelter is
already supporting so many older ferrets with medical issues, and it's a
shame that poor Laverne was dumped back into the system like this.
Although it's frightening to think what would happen if she hadn't been
given up, and instead was forced to suffer in a neglectful environment.

OK, I know I'm rambling but these little girls really are a treasure.  If
you are at all ready to open your heart and home to two darling fuzzlets
please go meet these two gals at the Gimmee Shelter Ferret Rescue!  Jan
the shelter Mom is wonderful, and she has lots of sweet fuzzies who need
happy forever homes!  Tell them Risa says "Hi".

Basic info on these two: Laverne is a gorgeous, petite Silver Mitt.  Her
tumor was successfully removed, but found to be malignant sarcoma.  She
goes generally in the litterbox, but also chose her own spots where I put
newspaper to accomadate her.  She loves being held and cuddled.  Shirley
is a pretty sable, with perfect litterbox habits!  Loves being played
with and held for kisses.  Neither bite, both give kisses, both active
explorers and cuddlers.  Feel free to e-mail me about them to.  I'm
hoping to hear about them getting a great human mom or dad.  You can
check out the shelter website at http://jdejesusma.tripod.com/ The
ferrets aren't listed on the website right now, but contact Jan.  There
are many wonderful ferrets at her shelter!  She'll help you find the
right one!

Risa
PS Well as if this wasn't long enough I have to tell you about my little
"goosebump" moment.  The folder I was given from the teacher had all
their original adoption info from the Gimmee Shelter, it also had the
Sept 2000 Pets 101 newletter.  That's a little Mass.  publication with
various pet articles, stories, and ads.  As soon as I saw it I had this
feeling, I opened it up and sure enough, a couple of pages in was an ad
from the Gimmee Shelter.  The ad had a picture and description of a
ferret Jillie.  My ferret Jillie who I had adopted from the shelter in
Aug of 2000 never having even seen the newsletter.  (-:

PPS If you're thinking I should just adopt Laverne and Shirley, trust me
I want to!  I'm just not in a position to care for more ferrets!