From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:55:30 -0500
Judging from the volume of mail I recieved on this subject, I voiced the
opinions of numerous people on the list.  A *few* questions asked of me
made it clear that a couple of individuals misunderstood my remarks.  So I
wish to clarify a few points.

1) I NEVER said anything I wrote was a fact.  I *SAID* it was an opinion,
based on experience and education.  You are more than welcome to your own
opinions, even if they clash with mine.  This is not a homogeneous world,
and I for one, am quite glad it is not.

2) I NEVER said other people should give up their ferrets.  I reported what
was bothering me about my own group and that I had seen it in other groups
as well.  If you want 100 ferrets and can care for them, keep them clean
and healthy, and give them an environment where their physical,
intellectual and emotional needs are met, more power to you.  Please post
your techniques to the FML so I can learn how.

3) IF you reread the post, I NEVER mentioned anyone by name except for
TLE, and only then with respect and awe of her awesome ferret powers.
She is obviously a superhero with powers and abilities far beyond those
of mortal ferret owners.  She is my hero.  If anyone thinks I was speaking
specifically of them, they need to see a doctor.  I am more than capable of
mentioning names if I like.  If I don't it is because I am trying to make
it impersonal because only the *subject* is important.  Geesh.  One or two
of you need to get a life (as far away from me as possible).

4) I NEVER said anything bad of shelters.  I was talking about private
individuals.  However, since it was brought up, I do wonder if shelters
have some sort of emergency plan, especially in case of fire, tornados or
earthquakes.  Tornadoes can hit without warning (although most people can
know a few minutes in advance).  An earthquake hits without warning.  A
fire can involve an entire house in less than 5 minutes, especially older
ones filled with inflamables.  I live in an older wooden frame house and it
can become completely involved and impossible to escape in under 5 minutes,
which is not enought time to save all my ferrets, much less me.  All those
cages stacked up in shelters?  Say goodbye to the ferrets, they're toast.
If you are worried about recliners, you should think of fire.  You can't
stop the inevitable, but you can at least plan for the worst.

I know dozens of people who house all their ferrets in the basement, yet
never consider sudden flooding, either natural or accidental (like a water
heater leak or broken pipe).  In a serious fire, how can those animals be
evacuated?  In an earthquake or tornado, what will you do to make sure they
are not crushed, or to keep them together if the cages are broken.  How can
you ferret-proof a tornado or earthquake damaged house?  Even if you escape
and the ferrets are alive but buried under rubble, how can you feed and
water them?  Back when I was a photojournalist, I photographed scores of
people burned or killed attempting to save a child trapped inside a house
during a fire.  In many cases, the child was hiding from the flames.  If a
single child is so difficult to find in a fire, how are you possibly going
to find a ferret?  How about 20?  The "danger" I mentioned wasn't towards
people; it was towards the ferrets.  I should have make that more clear,
but really, it was sort of implied.

Perhaps people on the FML experienced in such matters, like firemen,
police, etc., can post constructive ideas regarding this problem.  It would
be far more interesting to me than reading endless flames from people who
simply do not like each other and live for the opportunity to make the
other look bad.  Or hate mail from self-involved nuts who think anything I
say is directed at them.

Bob C and 18 Mo' Ferret Firedogs