From:
christine newkirk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:37:44 -0700
Hello!

Apparently summer is flea time!  In New Orleans, we have lots of bugs.

I have used the Kenic brand puppy and kitten flea shampoo on my furbutts
with great success in the past.  Adams makes a good flea shampoo, but
find out if it is specifically for kittens -- it may just be for adult
animals, and therefore possibly too potent for ferrets.

Before I had birds, I also used the Adams inverted carpet spray and even
(in dire case) the Adams yard treatment around the peremeter of the
house.  Now, since I got a bird, I have used the carpet spray, but I made
sure that the room was well-ventilated (as usual), and that Monty wasn't
in the house for a couple of hours.  the fuzzbutts were still there, but
in a far away room, also well-ventilated.  But I haven't had to do that
this year I think because as a preventative, when it got to be "bug
season", I used Borax (boric acid) to dust and vacuum carpets and to
sprinkle in the cracks around the house (floor, wall, etc).  Of course,
when I'm not vacuuming it up, I don't sprinkle it where ferrets will
go, especially Dustbin, who has to lick everything.  (Incidentally, I
noticed the fleas prefer light ferrets to dark ones.)

Of course, as usual, I am not a vet.  I have consulted various people
about this stuff, but I would hate to tell you something that hurt your
fuzzy, so use caution!  The main thing is that the flea treatment have a
certain percentage of pyrethin while still being safe for the animals.  I
think there are mixed attitudes toward Borax as well.  I like it because
it isn't a spray (because of the birdman.  Also, a friend of mine's toy
dog ATE a little of it and had no noticeable ill effects (although I'm
sure it tasted terrible.

There's my two(hundred) cents, hope it's useful!
-christine
and Dustbin, Mab, and Monty (Quaker Parrot)

=====

christine newkirk
My Ebay items
ICQ# 3937465