From:
"Lange, Sandra SJ" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 11:53:16 +1100
Last night I went to a meeting of the Victorian Ferret Club for the first
time.  After the formal part of the meeting was over, they blocked the
doors off and let all the ferrets loose.

I was having a good time, but as people started to leave and reduce the
number of ferrets running around, I could no longer see Princess.

We checked everywhere inside the scout hall.  There was a very small hole
under the table blocking the door, so we had people checking outside as
well even though it seemed unlikely.  There were definitely some worried
people, (mostly me) with the most likely possibility that she had climbed
into someone's bag and gone to sleep.

Finally some one was looking at the seats which are solid wood church pew
type and lined up along the walls.  She saw a head poking around the end
of the seat, but couldn't see the rest of the body.

A little investigation revealed that Princess had discovered that behind
these seats was a little ledge where she could climb to retreat for a
little peace.  No-one had ever lost a ferret there before.

I am trying to find a word that describes Princess ability to follow her
nose into the most obscure confined, dark, hiding places..... determined,
investigator, dweller-in-the-dark ......... I think she is a ferret's
ferret. :-)

Sandra, Clover, Princess-the-vanishing, and Gemma-the-cat.
Melbourne, Australia