From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 11:54:25 -0600
Yesterday morning Nancy and I rushed her Mugsy to the vets office.  He had a
high temp (my hands estimated 104-105, verified at 104 by the vets
thermometer later in the morning), was lethargic and labored breathing.  I
called the vet before we left alerting him that we would be coming and his
recommendations to bring the temp down.  I had already dosed Mugsy with
Amoxi and applied a cool wash cloth.  I did succeed and lowering his temp
but it was still high.  When we arrived at the vets office it was 8:00.  The
vet hadn't arrived yet so we spoke to the vet tech.  Larry had called in and
told them we were on our way - he would not be in till 11:00 so Travis would
look at Mugsy.  Around 8:15 the clinic received a call from a dog owner.
When she hung up the phone, the receptionist/office manager started to walk
towards the back then looked at me and said "do you want to just leave him
because we have 2 surgeries this morning and a dog that needs to be seen
NOW".  I was somewhat in shock at her attitude that Mugsy wasn't an
emergency (yeah right, I always take 3 hours off work and take a leisurely
unscheduled trip to the vets office just for fun).  I told her his temp was
rising again and I would stay and talk to the vet when he came in.  Needless
to say she was not happy at my decision.  Now this woman either dislikes
ferrets or is afraid of them because time after time I have received rude
treatment from her.  I always try to be polite, I have never given her or
anyone in that office any call to be rude to me.  So what should I do?
Larry and Travis (vets) have always been very receptive to my calls.  For
each emergency I take to them I've probably handled 10 on my own.  I've
always paid my bills at time of services and sometimes in advance.  But this
type of treatment from this woman could cause an already sick ferret to
become critical.  Thank goodness we stayed as Travis administered something
(can't remember what but will ask later) to take Mugsy's temp down then he
went on with his surgeries and the dog emergency.  All the while Mugsy was
monitored.  So how do I politely and tactfully handle this situation?  Do I
try talking to this woman (she avoids me when I come in, always leaving the
room), or go directly to Larry?  All advice and suggestions are welcome.
Mugsy is doing better but still not feeling well.  The fecal smear and CBC
were normal.  He has mucousy stools, a clear runny nose, and a slight temp.
He's lethargic but drinking his Restore well.  I've had a sinus infection.
Could I have passed it to Mugsy?  Several of the others are not feeling well
and I'm monitoring the entire group closely.  Everyone is eating and
drinking well but there is some diarrhea in the group.  I am ferret sitting
5 ECE ferrets but this is nothing like we experienced with our bout of ECE.
Any ideas?

Dogs and Ferrets - I'm concerned over the recent posts of how to handle dogs
going after ferrets.  I'm also a little confused.  When we walk the fuzzies
they are on a halter and leash.  At the least sign of trouble they are
quickly pulled up into our arms.  If any harm were to come to them I would
blame myself because it is my responsibility as their caretaker to keep them
safe.  I can't blame a dog for doing what is perfectly natural, but I can
blame the owner for not properly fencing or training the dog.  I have 3
dogs.  One does not like people but would lay down his life to protect his
ferrets.  Sunny takes his job seriously.  He weighs 50 pounds and has huge
teeth (I know, he's accidently bitten me twice when I intervened between him
and the intended victim).  Shylow was my white german shepherd who also
loved his ferrets.  Pretty amazing for a dog that was introduced to them
when he was 6 years old and a dog that hated cats (my fault as we never had
a cat in his lifetime and the only cats he knew were the ones that walked
across the top of our wooden fence to tease him).  Just as some cats and
ferrets see birds and rodents as prey, some dogs will see ferrets as prey.
Instead of trying to harm other animals, let's try to figure out a way to
avoid those potentially dangerous encounters and a nonharmful way to combat
them should they arise.  Before I became involved with ferrets, I worked
with a dog rescue group.  I've been bitten several times, some severely, but
do not hold a grudge against any type of dog.  In each case they were only
doing what comes natural to them.

Hugs to all.  tle