From:
Chessum Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2000 22:36:44 +1200
For a while now I have been thinking about whether there is a need for some
form of International Association of Ferret Shelters.

At present there are resource listings like STAR Ferrets, and the FML
Shelter list, however there is a case for having a more structured
organisation, which would maintain a code of practice for ferret shelters,
and provide advisory and advocacy services for ferret shelters.

If such an organisation was established, and run well, then membership of
this organisation would also provide members with credibility when dealing
with Government Organisations, sponsors, and other animal welfare
organisations/institutions.

I am interested in hearing the views of other ferret shelters, or other
interested individuals.  In particular, I am interested to hear:

a. Whether you consider there is a need for an International Association
   of Ferret Shelters?
b. Whether you consider there are already organisations in existence
   which meet this need?
c. How you think such an International Association of Ferret Shelters
   should be organised and run?
d. Whether you would consider becoming a member of such an association?
e. Whether you would be prepared to help with the establishment or
   running of such an association?
f. Any other comments you think might be relevant.

Please feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask]

Regards

John Chessum
Secretary
New Zealand Ferret Protection and Welfare Society Incorporated