From:
Don & Janice Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:37:04 -0600
Hello Everyone,
I want to tell you a true story.  Once, while I was watching television, not
particularily making a selection of a program, I noticed that there was a
man who was in a large cage-like ring with several large cats (He held NO
"gun", whip, or even a chair in his hands or between himself and the huge
animals).  There were male and female lions and leapoards and tigers.  The
fantastic animals roared loudly, leapt from platform to platform, through
hoops and rings of fire.  They came close to the man in the ring and he put
his head in the mouth of one enormous, beautiful lion.

After an impressive performance by man and "beasts", another man with a
microphone spoke with the man, outside of the ring.

He marvelled at the fact that the man used not one single physical object to
direct the boistrous, large cats through their routines.

"How," the interveiwer wanted to know, "do you get those wild, dangerous
animals to do what you want them to do?"

The trainer smiled, almost laughing, as he reached his hand through the bars
of the cage to rub a waiting furry ear.  Quietly he spoke to reveal the
secret he never tries to hide, "I give them much love, frequent rewards, and
most of all, they know me".

They know me.  He might just as well have said "They trust me" for that is
what it is all about.  Most of us would never even consider a lifetime of
that kind of dedication which would cause an inherantly wild cat to
internalize and exhibit that kind of trust of us.

We are however priviledged to have the opportunity to enjoy the trust of an
inherantly gentle little animal with the domestic ferret.

Domestic ferrets, as many of you already know, are very intelligent, and
like children to their parents, desire to please their caregivers.  They are
capable of and eager to return love and affection to humans (who are after
all just large, hairless and funny-looking ferrets to them probably) When
ferrets are kits, they play with other ferrets who have relatively tough
skin and they are free to take a good hold of each other and romp and drag
each other around.  This is good healthy ferret play.  When they come to a
human's home, they have to learn that their new "playmates'" skin is not so
tough.  They are full of vigor and bounce and bubble over with excitement at
every opportunity to play and will make play out of almost anything.  It
takes quite a bit of gentle teaching with loving words to show them how we
can play with them and what we cannot do (due to our tender skin).

They do learn and want a relationship with us. It takes patience on
people's part,and the length of time it takes varies from ferret to ferret.
They are all individual just like we are individual.

Some will always grip firmer than others and that is just them.  They are
NOT being too agressive or "mean spirited" ever.  It is not their nature.
Time and again you could get thousands of testimonies from ferret
rescue/shelter people how they took in "biters" and through love and
kindness and gentle consistent handling, they not only no longer bite, but
many learn to trust enough again to give kisses and play and have wonderful
people-ferret relationships.

We are not building a relationship with wild lions or tigers here so our
task is surprisingly more simple.  We are nurturing a loving trust that is
just waiting to be defined so that it can happen between you and your little
fuzzles.

You will never regret taking the time to "Do it with love."

Physical discipline should never be and is never necessary.  Never.  I have
challenged people personally to trade their nose flicks, bitter apple and
other methods, for the simplicity of love, patience, and rewards (can be
loving cuddling, verbal praise in a praising tone of voice, a food treat or
what ever your ferret likes).  They report that they have had faster, and
wonderful success with the "Love Connection" and many have told me how they
feel so much closer to their ferret now.

Have not had a failure yet! Jan --Gracie's Place