Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2007 23:23:45 -0400
Not the sort to be domesticated, Travis Livieri's "ferrets (the
black-footed kind) live in prairie dog colonies." My life is mostly
consumed by ferrets, " says the executive director of Prairie
Wildlife Research (http://www.prairiewildlife.org). After taking the
domesticated ferret community by storm in St. Louis in 2005, Travis has
become a common face in the ferret world. And, a move to Colorado this
year put him at the helm of a growing group.

The son of a retired firefighter and secretary, Livieri also has a
sister and brother. Growing up in Milwaukee, he "gained a love for
wildlife/animals as a child by spending time in the forests of northern
Wisconsin. " After obtaining a degree in wildlife biology, Livieri took
a temporary job as a technician on the black-footed ferret recovery
project. That was more than10 years ago

We have such fun with our little weasels that it is hard to imagine
anything better. Newborn kits are such a thrill as they grow and play.
So, what does the non-ferret owner have that could possibly compete?
"I work with the endangered black-footed ferret, North America's
only native ferret species, " Livieri says. "I have many memorable
black-footed ferret experiences but my favorite was finding the first
litter of wild-born kits in 1995. It was a special moment for me and
also for black-footed ferret recovery. The re-introduction program
began in 1994; Mike (a colleague) and I found the first litter of
kits in SD in the summer; I have watched this population grow to a
self-sustaining group. "

Livieri would you like to be remembered "As a hard worker who
contributed to the recovery of black-footed ferrets." Having seen
Travis in action, I think that is an understatement. Travis Livieri
is a wildlife biologist. A wildlife biologist must wear many hats. He
is a long-haul driver, an off-roads driver and a chauffeur. He is a
researcher, an educator and a fundraiser. He also must function as a
veterinarian. Often he must also be a magician. To me he has been an
educator, a supervisor and a friend. And, when you are a wildlife
biologist specializing in Mustella nigripes (the black-footed ferret;
see http://blackfootedferret.org) you must often work all night!

When not traveling or working with ferrets, Travis likes to "hike,
hunt, fish and watch the Green Bay Packers. " And, his ideal day would
be "to go fishing with Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre. He
seems like a real down-to-earth guy who has always worked hard to
achieve his dreams. He doesn't take himself too seriously, is loyal to
his teammates and strives to be the best. On Sundays I sit in my easy
chair and watch football, particularly the Green Bay Packers." Livieri
also reads, his favorite book is "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand and
enjoys listening to hard/classic rock music.

This past year Travis was able to obtain grants from the National Fish
& Wildlife Foundation towards a Wyoming/South Dakota BFF Population
project. We look forward to seeing the success of the black-footed
ferret in other locations, including Canada. Stay tuned.

Come to Portland and learn more about the black-footed ferret on June
24. And, to make a donation to support the re-introduction of the
black-footed ferret (which thanks to efforts of Travis and others, is
NO LONGER the MOST endangered mammal in the country), you can reach
Travis at:

Travis Livieri
Prairie Wildlife Research
P.O. Box 308r
Wellington, CO 80549
(970) 219-1659

--
renee :)
It's amazing how much can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the