From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:26:19 -0600
This is one of those "you just have to be there" issues.  Sometimes when
disease takes over your little ones body, their mind is still healthy and
active.  Even though the ailment may be terminal and no hope for recovery,
the little one still enjoys day to day activities, cuddling with a friend,
caresses from their caretakers.  There may be good days and bads days.
The decision to end their life humanely is a very difficult one indeed
and timing is even more difficult.

When I finally decided to help Dusty leave us, he had not eaten well the
previous day or that morning.  Get him to the vet and he eats like its
his best meal ever.  sigh.  Second thoughts.  Our vet gives a sedative and
allows us plenty of time to say good byes before the final injection so we
have ample opportunity to back out.  BUT in Dusty's case I knew he would
not get better and he had deteriorated over the past months.  Afterwards
I doubted myself.  Those close to me said I'd done the right thing but no
words could take away that doubt.  I struggled with that issue for a very
long time.

I've always thought that if our vet takes one into surgery and finds they
are filled with cancer that we should do all we can for them.  Slowly my
thoughts are changing.  Is it fair to nurse them along for a few weeks or
months when I know the end will come soon?  It is my love for them that
prompts me to do all I can for them and it is their love for me that they
try to stay as long as possible.  Another difficult decision.

IF a little one suffers painfully from their ailment with no relief on a
daily basis, then we do help them leave, but if there is a glimmer of
hope (the magic word) and they aren't in constant pain and they show a
willingness to continue, then I will do all I can for them and keep them
as comfortable as possible.

I am probably one that deals with death more often than most others because
of the little ones that share my home.  For me, the decision is never an
easy one.

While it may be easy to think that it wouldn't be difficult to let one go
when they reach a certain point, having to actually go through it makes the
decision difficult.  As much as I try, I can never properly prepare myself
for it.

Warm hugs to all. tle

Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services