From:
JANNA REINARZ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 21:55:51 -0600
To whomever it was who caught the end of "Zucchini" on TV: yes, the
character Zucchini was a ferret.  He was portrayed as an affectionate,
friendly animal.

However, there was a fair amount of misinformation on the show (I only
caught the last half).

Zucchini was portrayed trying to go home(?) to the "praries".  (Is taht sort
of like a tabby cat going "home" to the forest?  :P) He wound up in
Nebraska, I believe, where he was shown talking to an armadillo who told him
that the praries were nearby and that "There are lots of ferrets there".

Now, Zucchini was by no stretch of the imagination a Black Footed Ferret (do
they have those in NE anyway?).  So here we go again with perpetuation of
the domestic ferret vs.  BFF confusion.

Also, following the show, the host (Malcolm Jamal Warner?) was shown holding
a cute sable ferret, which is wonderful, BUT, he was wearing a leather glove
that covered his arm to the elbow.  Talk about giving a wild-animal image to
the little guy!

I found it to be a cute cartoon, and I realize that cartoons are by no means
required to be factual, but the outright mistruths were a bit disturbing,
especially in light of the continuing fight against misinformation in CA and
other FFZ's.

Janna and Aron  (who would rather watch a ferret cartoon, no matter how
                off-base, than study:))
Einstein, Daisy, & Bandit