From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 1996 01:21:49 -0400
That is how I got Trouble .......(my fifth ferret).  Her owners freaked out
one day because she had red poop and came running with her into the pet shop
where they had bought her a month or so before, to ask the pet shop owner
what was wrong with her.  Then after some questioning, the pet shop owner
found out that they had given her red licorice.  I was in the shop at the
time and I panicked...  after some discussion they decided a ferret was more
than they could handle..(once I got to know Trouble, I understood why, she
is very appropriately named).  The shop owner and I talked and I ended up
taking her home that day.  She is very unique and she has her quirks that
can create problems sometimes, but I wouldn't give her up (or any of the
others that are "mine") for a million dollars.

Oh back to the licorice..  ferrets have a very sensitive digestive system.
Licorice is the LAST thing I would give them.  I know there is a ferret book
out there that says it is okay to do that but in my opinion, that is bad for
them.  That same book also shows them on cedar bedding, so what does that
tell you?  Trouble has stomach trouble sometimes (sorry to be redundant) and
I know some of it has to do with the early "diet and treats" that she had.
I have done alot of research on nutrition, and the treats I give here
consist of Ferretone, Hairball Medicine (they think it is a treat,
sshhhh...), Nutri-Cal, Raisins, Meat and Fruit Babyfoods, and Duck Soup
(sshhhh..), oh, and they like a new vitamin supplement called Pounds Plus
and Stat vme, too.  You just have to make them think they are getting
something special and it works.  (Hope the FLO does not discover my scheme
here.)

Human "treats" are usually very bad for them, please stay away from these.
Dr. Tom Willard of Totally Ferret fame was interviewed by Modern Ferret
magazine and I suggest that everyone read that article, it was very
enlightening.  Animals eat to satisfy hunger only, humans eat for every
reason under the sun.  Animals do not "crave" variety in their diet (as long
as it is a complete and nutritional diet), nor do they get "bored" with
their food.  Many prefer the same thing, they are like me, they don't like
change.  They come to expect their food to taste a certain way and that is
what they want....  Just my opinion folks.....I feed lots of ferrets.

Trish