From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:33:48 -0400
>Re:  baby hiding food...ants all over the place...
>respitory systems.  I have had this problem in the past, but never this
>bad.  Is there something natural I can use to get rid of them that won't
>hurt the ferrets, they sleep and play in this room.

I've read a number of "natural" non-toxic ways to get rid of deter ants -
everything from citrus oil to diatomacious (sp?) earth.  The later is
often suggested.  It is made from crushed, fossilized diatoms.  The
particles are razor sharp and highly unfriendly to small crawling insects
while relatively harmless to larger animals (like humans and ferrets).
There are warnings on the containers of the stuff to keep it away from
the eyes - it is obviously an irritant if you get in it the eyes.  I'd
suggest the edges of baseboards and other places where the fuzzies are
less likely to be be for the placement of the diatomacious earth.

I recently picked up a small box at www.gardeners.com for under $10.  I'm
sure you can find it elsewhere - maybe local gardening centers.  It takes
it a few days to work but it does work.  This combined with diligent
vacumming and cleaning up on any stray food found (important way to help
fight ants too) will work!

-kim, jinx, and rosie

Kimberly Burkard  |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
[log in to unmask] |      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret: