Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:54:40 -0500
Thank you to everyone who donated so generously to the recent fund-raising
auctions.  So far the 3 auctions have raised about $5,000 total for the
various ferret causes and groups.

I've received almost all the checks from the third round.  To preserve my
sanity, I waited until I rec'd most of the checks before sending them to the
two California legalization groups (Calif for Ferret Legaliz and Ferrets
Anon) and the S Florida shelter, which is why checks weren't cashed earlier
(though they should be soon).  I also waited until I had received most of
the checks for Bob and Kitty's items (hammocks etc.) so those should be
coming soon also.  There has been a delay in the rainbow bridge prints, and
those should also be received soon.

Again, thank you so much to everyone who participated.  Thanks again also to
Bill, who donated a lot of his time to update the bids as they came in.  It
is very gratifying to know that people from all over are working together to
help ferrets and each other as well.

I was also at the Mass Ferret Friends Halloween party this weekend, which
was fantastic!  What could be more endearing than a room full of fuzzies in
costume!!  First prize went to 2 adorable peas in a pod; one of my favorites
was Dracula, the FACT ferret with the protruding bottom teeth.  And then
there was Super Ferret, some great witches, a charming sunflower, the
Pillsbury doughferret-- *all* the costumes were just great!  It was also
wonderful to have the other New England shelters at the vendor tables and to
meet some fml people in person.

I couldn't help thinking how great it was to see so many people who really
loved their ferrets, and also how lucky we are to finally have ferrets legal
in Mass.  At the same time, I keep thinking how much there is to be done.
When I hear about the continuing struggle in Calif and Michigan; or read
about the large breeders separating young ones from their mothers too early,
the conditions of the breeder ferrets, and babies being shipped all over the
country at such a young age, I can't help but think how much of an outcry
there would be if these were kittens and puppies.  There is so much that
needs to be done in educating people--including other animal groups--about
ferrets.  I think a concerted effort should be made to get other animal
groups to learn about ferrets, and help publicize their plight re: mass
producing and also kill-and-test policies.  My personal feeling is that we
need all the help we can get in protecting these little guys who bring so
much joy into our lives.

-- Ronnie
from Harry: "mom, are you done? can I have a banana now?"
also...Ralphie, Prince Charming, Merlin, Roxanne and Petunia, who would like
some more cheweasels