From:
Tess Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2013 09:48:53 -0600
Thank you all for your responses! Sorry I didn't put enough information
in there to help a lot of you out. I will try again!

The pred I have is actually prednisolone and not prednisone, sorry. And
the bottle is somewhat confusing. it says 42 cc of Prednisolone per ml.
I'm pretty sure a cc and a ml are the same thing, so I'm thinking there
was a typing error in there. Regardless, I called my vet and hope to
get some more info today when she calls back.

I don't have him on any stomah protectants. Our vet hadn't mentioned
it and I read some articles online so I have been giving him the meds
after he eats for any GI upset. We started supplementing his diet
(Marshall's premium) with duck soup (Marshall's "Uncle Jim's"). He has
the exact same appetite and same energy levels and weight so I'm just
kind of lost. We were doing cherry pepto bismol for the couple of weeks
when his odd poop would be diarrhea, but the rest were okay. I started
him back on that today. It seemed to work fine, but I thought I was
just treating a symptom and not the problem so thats when we took him
back to the vet. I will try hemorrhoid cream for his butt and maybe
that will help him stay put when he poops. He has been missing the
litter box almost every time.

The poop itself isn't the worst smelling and are a light brown/dark
green color. Though I can only tell this when he goes out of the box
because in the box the liquid is absorbed and it looks like he just
peed... It is seedy about 75% of the time, which is undigested protein
I believe. She had said his levels are low from the lack of absorption.
So we started the duck soup and started giving him some treats back
(except the ferretlax of course). He seems to be eating and drinking
often enough. They have their own bedroom/closet/and bathroom (very
spoiled) and 3 different ways to get water so it's hard to tell, but he
is urinating every time he poops and his mucous membranes are moist.

The other thing that makes me think it isn't a GI infection is that
I have 2 other babies, around the same ages, and they share a room
together. They eat and sleep and play together 24 hours a day. If one
was sick, wouldn't the other 2 have caught it by now? The other two
are perfectly healthy with rarely a bad poop.

When it first started happening we took every treat away from him. We
give them ferretone, ferretlax, ferret vite, ferret chew treats (the
sticks), and bandit tartar control treats. We slowly added one in at a
time and it seemed that the one he was best with was the tartar control
treats so that was all he got for about a month. The diarrhea came back
on so we thought it must be something other than a food allergy. He has
been on Premium Marshall food since he was 8 months old. The lady we
adopted him from was feeding him cheap cat food, but it's been over 3
years so I think that would be out of his system. :)

I think I will try adding pure pumpkin or pysllium to his duck soup.
I'm not sure what is meant by pure pumpkin though. Just buy a pumpkin
and mash up some of it up? I have always been under the assumption that
any fruit or vegetable is bad for them so they do not get any food that
is not meant for a ferret. I see that the pysllium comes in different
forms, is there a brand/type that works best for ferrets?

Thank you very much for responding and any help you can give! I hate to
see him unhappy, but really the time he seems at all unhappy is when we
give prednisolone.