From:
Laurel Gilbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 18:14:42 -0500
What, hiding behind initals, are we?  BIG, I thought we had a
no-anon-to-hide-behind-potential-flames posts here.  Sigh.  I would have
taken your post with the utmost respect, oh anonymous poster, had you chosen
to add your name to it.  As it is, I can only shrug it off.

In my life, I've had countless animals and (surprise) children (well, okay,
two).  I take excellent care of all, and accidents of any kind aren't common
here.  Sometimes they do happen, though, don't they?  And anyone who had
animals or kids will atest to that fact.  It's been pointed out here that to
read the FML, a non-ferret owner would think that ferrets routinely are sick
and die of any number of strange cancers and adrenal diseases.  But that's
not true....it's just that people tend to *post* their problems, questions,
and "adventures" (or mishaps) to the list....which I've done.  Notice,
please, that for the many years I've owned dogs or cats (and the many months
I've been owned by ferrets) I've reported *two* incidents that may or may
not have been prevented, and asked a lot of questions on the care and
feeding of ferrets.  I haven't necessarily posted the countless times the
ferrets are out *without* mishap.  Perhaps I should....then it would be
apparent that the ratio of mishap to not is pretty low.

And, BIG, I would *please* ask that you post this: I've been accused a lot
recently of being "mean" and starting "flames." However, I've not sent a
piece of mail to any FMLer that wasn't a response to mail they sent *me,*
and I've never been anything but pleasant on this list.  I also take
responsibility for my words (and actions) and do not post critiques of other
FML members anonymously.  I must *wonder* if the person who posted this
critique of me anonymously isn't, perhaps, holding a more personal grudge.
Please, if you feel the need to critique me, either do it in private or own
your words and ideas.

Laurel

[Moderator's note: Well, so far two people have convinced me to relax that
"no-anon-to-hide-behind-potential-flames" policy for a specific post.  And a
couple of people who don't usually post anonymously have done so even though
there was no flaming involved because of the embarassing nature of a post.
In general, yes, the policy stands, but if you can make a good case for
posting something anonymously, then I will consider that - I think it's a
policy with occasional exceptions.  I'm not really happy about having to
decide that kind of stuff, but I guess it's part of the "job'.  BIG]