From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:42:39 -0500
Bob writes
>8. Ferrets were used during the 1800s in the United States:
>A) To help supplement rations during the Civil War.  Correct.  This
>is supported not only by the implications of game laws, but also by
>personal accounts.

I hope this means they were used to capture supplemental food such as
rabbits, NOT that they were the supplemental food themselves!  I would
not think them good eating, though my husband occasionally suggests
"ferret-on-a-spit" when he steps barefoot on a present left in an
unexpected spot.

Regarding #1, the reasons for domestication--why were ground squirrels
and hamsters hunted?  You mentioned the squirrels were found in
prehistoric garbage heaps.  Were they still food sources as late as a
few hundred BC?

The whole post was well done and lots of fun.  I STILL think the final
choices are the BEST answers!

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH