From:
Lise O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 06:19:49 PDT
Hello everyone!  I just wanted to share a few things with you and ask a
question.

First the question: How much weight does a ferret lose during the summer?
My big boy (3.0 or 3.2 when I adopted him at 11 months) was down to 2.6 last
March and I am possitive he is somewhere around 2.4 or 2.2 as we speak.

Nonners eats well and he properly attacks my legs and feet in play.
Everything is just fine in regards to his energy level.

Now, my two eldest lost substancial weight during their first spring.  They
were almost boney.  That following fall, they pudged up like good little
babies.  Their weight has dipped on and off since, but never as much as
that first spring?

Should I worry.

My eldest Domi is doing fine.  She under went two blood tests (one free of
charge) and an ultra sound with aspric (showed kidneys were normal sized but
spleen was grossly enlarged).  She was diagnosed as anemic.  Her spleen is
producing slightly more blood cells than normal (this is a good thing).

During this most previous recheck (Domi has lots of those), the size of her
spleen has shrunk and she was all over the incubator (I hurt my back picking
a horse hoof, so I could not carry the pet carrier I take as her home at the
Vets.); she had lots of energy.  And last night, she did her first weasle
war dance in weeks!  Plus her first bite of my toes in weeks (ouchie!!!
hee.hee.)

Funny stuff:

Earlier this year, the five year old next door came over to play with my
babies.  I have a pvc tube which the kids have since torn apart.  Anyway,
the boy picked up one end of the tube and ran around in circles.

I believe it was my Meisha who was in on the play, but it could've been
Stacia.  Anyway, my little girlie ran after the pvc tube, got in so that
she was facing outward.  My boy, Nonnie, tried to get in too, but all he
could do was chase.  Then my girl hopped out, ran after the tube and got in
again, facing outward.  This went on for ten minutes.  It was hilarious!
Now that I think of it, maybe Meisha (or was it Staci) was trying to show
Nonners how to run and jump into the pvc.  It was a sight!

My condolences to Mr. Allen and his family.  I am at a loss as to what to
say.  My heart goes out to you, your furries and your family and friends.
My little furries send hugs and kisses to you and your ferrets.

Lise
p.s. I know that I will get flamed for this, but....Any one who wishes to
make a trip through Texas, please be careful.  I moved to Austin three years
ago from NY/CT area and was amazed at the large number of car accidents
caused by drinking and/or inconsideration of other drivers.  I was hit 6
times in 1-1/2 yrs (all minor except 1).