From:
Ferret McDuff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 08:38:48 -0500
Back in my college days I rented a small efficiency apartment in a stone
building.  Unfortunately it was an old building and not air conditioned.
During the heat of mid summer (yes, it can reach mid 90's in Minn with
matching humidity) the heat was insufferable.  At nite, in order to sleep I
devised a form of cheater's A/C..  I would go to the local Tom Thumb and buy
a 10 lb block (2inch x10 x10) of dry ice for about $2.00.  Putting this in
front of a fan will keep a small room cool very effectively.  The only
problem is, on humid nights, you wake up in the morning with about a foot of
fog on the floor.  You might want to give it a try.  The last time I checked
dry ice was going for between .30 and .50 per pound.