From:
Les Kerr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 1994 01:43:10 -0500
I've been reading the FML since October, but I don't recall seeing this
problem before:  Our ferret seemed to be doing fine on a recent plane
trip, hidden away in a cage with food and water.  But at the end of the
five-hour trip, we discovered that she'd clamped her teeth onto her
flannel blanket, and couldn't or wouldn't let it go.  (I think
"couldn't", because even a banana, her very favorite food, didn't get her
to open up.)  Several hours later, with help from an emergency all-night
vet clinic, she finally let it go.  We have several theories:
1)  stress of the trip
2)  ear pain from the cabin pressure changes
3)  calcium deficiency?  (mentioned by somebody at the vet clinic)

Has anybody ever experienced this?  Does it indicate a medical problem?
Thanks for any help -- it was very scary, and I'd feel better to have an
explanation.

Arlyn Kerr