From:
Claire C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2009 09:40:03 -0500
>The first clue should have been his fake degree. He presented himself
>as DVM, yet claimed to have graduated from VHUP. All Penn graduates
>are VMD.

Latin allows you to reorder words without changing their meaning, so
the acronyms are interchangeable. My bachelor's degree reads "Ars
Baccalaureate", and the acronym used by the university is AB. However,
some people confuse it with an Associate's degree, so I often refer to
my degree as a BA. This is clarification, not fraud. I imagine many
vets may do the same, since DVM is the "normal" arrangement of letters.
It would be a different matter if the purported vet seemed not to know
the degree actually earned, or could not come up with a reason for
presenting it differently.

By the way, in Europe, a qualified practicing vet can hold a Master's
degree or even a Bachelor's (BVSc in England). (A Doctorate is a
research qualification, which makes the terminology consistent with the
academic PhD.) Bottom line -- holding a license to practice veterinary
medicine is a more consistent indicator of qualification than the
actual name of the degree.