From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2006 10:51:04 -0400
While I agree that people have to understand that folks usually are
joking when they use stereotype jokes, I do have to say as a person who
is a member of the category that is the most commonly used stereotypical
joke here, that I grit my teeth when I hear "stupid blonde" jokes.  Yes,
I am a blonde -- a real one, not an acquired one.  Those jokes arose
originally from Scandinavians having been duped by a lot of the land
sales people in the U.S., and then later on they got mixed with "dumb
broad" jokes which are themselves sexist.  So, when I hear comments --
which happen OFTEN -- about blonde moments and the like it DOES hurt.
That hurt isn't because people meant to hurt because I know that almost
none of the people ever do mean to hurt.  They hurt because they are so
prevalent that there really are way too many people who actually believe
them, and the more common the joke is, the more people don't seem to
realize that it is only a joke.

So, yes, it is fine to explain that one was joking, and it can take the
edge off, but when individuals have encountered too many people who
actually believe the stereotypes then the stereotypes can be painful
because their RESULT is too well known, even when that is the furthest
thing from what the individual who posted intended.  So, please, know
that pain can happen even when not intended because of how stereotypes
"teach", and take the time to think twice sometimes before posting,
please.

Now, aspects of both sides have been heard from more than one in each
corner, and each has entirely valid points, so can we again have Pax
on List, please?

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org