From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 20:46:39 -0800
Complaining is what got ferrets removed from the list of animals Northwest
allowed in the cabin between when I bought my ferret ticket last year and
when I flew.  Complaining is NOT the way to go.  What happened with NW,
was that someone's ferret got out of a carrier and the owner blamed the
airline.

Airlines operate on the 'Golden Rule' - he who has the gold rules.  It's
their airline.  Now there's a big difference between communicating to an
airline that you would like to see ferrets included in the list of cabin
pets, and whining that you will take your flying dollar elsewhere if they
don't accomodate you.

When I was confronted with the fact that Northwest was not going to honor
my ferret's ticket, I had to go to the Delta counter and purchase a Dash
ticket, at 3 times the cost.  There were no options, and arguing would
have accomplished nothing and wasted what little time I had left.

As for carrier size, purchase the small wire topped one.  I have always
used a front opening carrier, and always had to completely remove the
ferrets so the carrier could be inspected.  It's a nerve jangling
experience, and strange people rush up to you with questions.  A security
check-point is not the ideal 'ferret show and tell' time.  The smaller
carrier also assures it fitting under all seats.  Isle seats have less room
than center seats, and I also have had to trade seats in order to fit my
larger carrier (yet still within the quoted size limits) under neath.

We, as ferret owners, should strive to be thought of as genteel, refined
persons, not loud ruffians who would argue at a ticket counter.

Georgia - the left coast one...