From:
Nancy Hartman CIS graduate student <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 1991 23:53:30 -0500

I decided to conduct a small taste test to see what my ferrets really like
to eat.  Although it's more than likely not indicative of what your ferret's
tastes will be, I still thought you might be interested.  So, here's the
results...

I conducted this test with 8 different types of food.  I put 1/3 cup
of each in seperate bowls, then just watched the order in which they
were consumed.  You should also note, that there were only two subjects,
Percy and Bree.

Here's the order in which they were consumed:

Max Cat - adult
Max Cat - kitten
Pro Plan - growth
Nip Chee Crackers (Hey!!  Where did they come from???  O.K., I never said
                   this was scientific...  :-) )
Iams - adult
Iams - kitten
Purina Ferret Chow
Science Diet - kitten
Bil Jac - adult

The first three (four) were consumed fairly sequentially, showing a definite
preference for each.  The last five had quite a bit of overlapping.

I then tested whether or not they liked Brewer's yeast on their food.
Both bowls were consumed at approximately the same rate.

I should mention that my two girls aren't very finnicky.  Their usual
diet is a mixture of about two or three different kinds of food that
I buy, plus whatever samples I happen to have around the place.  And,
I've been mixing Brewer's yeast into their food for about the last
six months.  They also regularly get to "sample" whatever the humans
happen to be eating, and whatever they manage to pilfer from around
the house (Nip Chee Crackers, for example...  :-) ).

------

Did anyone else catch the insult in Kevin Costner's "Robin Hood", where
the sheriff says to the scribe "It's the ONLY road to London, you
FERRET!"?  :-)

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                                   CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                                U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
                      Owner of Percy & Bree