From:
Darrin Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 23:55:51 +1100
>there's also some research showing selecting for tameness (less fear of
>humans) leads to genetics with health problems.  the book points out the
>difference between breeding for varying degrees of fear, and for varying
>degrees of social reinstatement (desire to return to flock).  I'm still
>reading that part, but wonder selecting for the latter might lead to
>healthier animals.

mm, I haven't heard of that one, but I assume it is entirely possible,
and something that is pretty self evident..  as breeding for any trait
requires some element of inbreeding... so erggghh... now we can't even
breed for good natured ferrets..  LOL..  but sadly somewhat true... as
breeding for docility, is essentially the same as breeding for
stupidity... you need to breed out all the instinctive and natural fears
and "logic" built into an animal, and are therefore picking some of the
"worst" of the breed, ones that would normally not survive, so as to get
"stupid"... or rather, Docile, friendly, no fear, will live with a
dangerous human that I should normally be afraid of, type pet.

whether or not stupidity is directly related to other health issues,
seems unlikely, unless it is part of a syndrome..  .simply because
stupidity is not hereditary ( in the wild)...ie: stupid animals die..
.quickly ( sorry to sound harsh) , but the truth of the matter is,
breeders would not pick those inherently stupid ( ie: those that have a
syndrome or such that has other associated illnesses), but would rather
pick those that perhaps, are not as "smart" as the others but still
healthy... thus breeding "healthy" but silly animals, who are then easy
to domesticate.  (ie: think of any group of ferrets, there is always at
least one, who is friendlier and perhaps a bit of a lap ferret, then the
others....it doesn't mean they are genetically unhealthy, simply that
they are friendlier... so you should breed them (with other friendly
ferts)..  and you may end up with more friendly lap ferrets..  maybe..
as some of its behavior is upbringing, training, etc... but some of it
is simply the genetics of those particular ferts..

However, if they are friendly and a lap ferret only because they have
some genetic issue or a health problem..  then don't breed..

That way, you will get healthy, but "stupid"...ooops ..  I mean
domesticated, friendly house pets..

In order to return them to the wild, you will then have to breed them
with the wildest, biggest, most cunning mates, to get those instincts
back.

Darrin