Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 15:34:50 EDT
(I have permission to fwd this post to the FML - pls fwd responses to Renee
at:  rcs@[log in to unmask]  Thanks, Shari Gunter.)

I need information from any of you who have had the anorexia/electrolyte
problem.  I am not panicked or desparate, but I am tired and feel guilty
when I don't get to feed the boy every few hours.  Anyway...

I am going to just post a few facts here and draw no conclusions or even
guess.  I would like your thoughts, please.

Smokey had his 3rd adrenal surgery in late July.

That night he seemed to not have very good motor control; he dragged his
right rear leg and was a little unsteady.

1 wk post: lost a few ounces, eating good, bald.(2.7#); takes medicine
readily by eating from a spoon

2 wks post: appetite down, will eat chicken gravy, food, etc., bald (2.5#)

3 wks post: electrolytes show low Na, normal potassium, eats rarely, hair
growth begins, weight steady.

4 wks post: home from vacation; weight steady, appetite increases;
electrolytes show unchanged Na & high potassium

5 wks post to present: won't take meds from spoon; electrolytes unchanged
fluctuates on eating - sometimes eats dry kibble, sometimes moist,
sometimes none, sometimes likes to lick off my fingers, sometimes Deliver
2.0; doesn't like snacks or treats anymore, and will eat the Iams orange
some, 8-in-1 Ultimate some, 8-in1 plus, MF or the little red color fishes
in Crave (don't ask!)

Currently he is about 660 grams (about 1.5#), down from his usual 1300+.
Dr. Hudson kept him for 2 weeks while I was busy with Floyd's aftermath and
said he had been in the lower 600 range.  Dr. Hudson wants him up to 1000
minimum.  He plays, but not nearly as much, can climb 8 steps fast before
pooping out, gives me sugar and has bright eyes.  He is curious and a
change of scenery ALWAYS produces improved attitude and increased eating,
but I am running out of places to visit!  He also loves going outside.

When I give him Pepcid, he eats more.  Now he fights me when I try to give
his meds.  He is a slippery little booger & I am afraid to hold too tightly
when I force feed, so he is always pulling away.  (I really look good in
stringy little food squirts!)

Any thoughts?  Comments?  Experiences?  I'm waiting to hear.  Like I said,
I don't think he is approaching the end here - I just need to get past this
hurdle so we can get his blood, etc. balanced.  Thanks for any input.

And, oh.  Licorice is good for lowering potassium.  However, I have heard
that you shouldn't give animals licorice.  Any knowledge about this out
there?

Renee :)