From:
kathryn terhune-cotton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 20:45:08 -0700
I need some expert advice here please.  First off, what type of harness have
you experienced ferret folks used?  I've tried two different cat harnesses
for Jester.  One is an 'H' shaped (goes around his neck and chest attached
by a single strap on the back), and an '8' shaped one.  I thought for sure
the '8' shaped one would work - it is fully adjustable and seemed to fit
snugly; however, Jester (I think I should rename him "Houdini!") wiggled
right out of it in minutes.  He does the same with the 'H' shaped harness.

Secondly, Jester has two sores on his rear paws after his escape last week.
He is paralyzed in the left rear leg and so it just drags behind him as he
scoots along using his front legs to pull and sort of paddling with his
right rear leg.  Anyway, the little bugger escaped *twice* in a three day
period (we found out that one of the cats was letting him out though one of
the screens!  I think the cat was thrilled to see him leave and disappointed
to see him come home not just once but twice!).  Anyway, we have since cat
and ferret proofed the screen, but Jester managed to get his poor little
foot scraped up.  The problem of course is that it keeps being abraded even
on the carpet or linoleum because he can't do anything *but* drag it.  I've
thought about wrapping it up for a couple of days but I somehow doubt a
ferret would be too willing to cooperate with that.  I'm also hesitant to
use any kind of topical on it for fear he'll lick it off and it might be bad
for him to ingest it.

Any suggestions on these matters would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Kat, K.C. (the hearing dog) and Jester
(the-kitty-molester) Ferret

Do not walk behind me, for we may not lead.
Do not walk in front of us, for we may not follow.
Do not walk beside us... hell, just leave us alone!