From:
April Armstrong Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 19:28:05 -0400
I'm pbviously a little behind on FMLs, even though I didn't get them for
two weeks while on vacation, but I'm responding to this from one of the
FMLs I just read:

>And that poster also wrote:

>>or feed twice a day by syringe

>That also scares me.  Aspiration pneumonia is an extremely dangerous
>problem and syringe feeding is a common cause.  There are many things
>written in many places by very knowledgeable folks (usually listed under
>topics like "feeding a sick ferret" which also go into the risks of
>aspiration pneumonia from syringe feeding.

I missed the post the second person is reponding to, so maybe I don't
know what's going on, but it seems they have a concern about syringe
feeding.  I guess with any animal, aspiration pneumonia is _possible_
with syringe feeding, but as a vet tech who syringe feeds cats, guinea
pigs, etc.  all the time, as well as many ferrets, including several of
my own at times, I wanted to mention that I think it's pretty rare in
such animals-I have NEVER had a problem with my ferrets or with any other
"similar" animals.  We are generally far more concerned about aspiration
pneumonia in birds, because it is far easier to have them aspirate
something you're trying to get them to swallow-we make sure they are
completely upright, even tilted forward, when we are syringe feeding them
(though gavage feeding-a tube directly into their crop-is more common) or
giving oral meds.  But I wouldn't be too worried about syringe feeding a
ferret in terms of aspiration pneumonia.  Choking would be more likely;
be careful and observant in any case.

Cheers,
April