From:
Peter Flanagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 18:04:24 EDT
Greetings all,

In regard to Ferrets Anonymous posting detour maps around Ag stations.......
Be advised that after looking closely at one map in particular (Ag station
at Needles CA) I found several big discrepancies with the accuracy of the
map.  The author of the map (Lee Donehower) advises to get on a specific
road and then "just follow the signs to I-40".  He left out several major
directions, like what road to use to cross the Colorado River and which
surface streets to use to get through the town of Neeldles to get back to
I-40.  His response to these concerns were that "The routes around the
stations that I indicate in the maps are based on roads and streets that
the CD says are there.  Hence, the validity of the routes suggested on my
maps IS NOT GUARANTEED."  NO one has tried these routes and therefore the
accuracy is in my opinion questionable.  I myself was going to use these
directions in the very near future but I'm very glad that I took it upon
myself to do my own research before attempting a crossing and I advise
anyone else who is contemplating such a trip to do the same.

Mr.Donehower is relying on his computer software and the Cartographers from
AAA map makers for accuracy and currentness, especially as to the location
of the Ag station at this particular border (he has it down to the tenth of
a mile).

It is too late for me to make other arrangements or come up with another
plan for my crossing and even though the wonderful woman who runs the
Shelter where I adopted my two fuzzies (Yeah Bobbi!) had offered to take
them back, that is not an option and not in my heart to do so.

So perhaps the moral to this long post is this.  No matter how good ones
intentions are...........do your own research and don't believe everything
that people post on web sites, no matter how legitimate they may be.

Good health to you & yours,

Pete

[Moderator's note: Some details about such routes are in the FML archives.
See issues 1254, 1277, 1495 and 1911 for starters.  Some of those seem to
be actually tested (though perhaps dated?).  BIG]