From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 10:44:08 -0400
I have been a ferret owner for about six months now and a FML reader
for about the same.  Now I have come forward because I need help.....

I'm in the military (I can't mention the branch for anon.  sake) I just
found out today that ferrets are illegal on all bases because they are
considered "tamed wild animals" and in the event of a scratch or bite
report they would be "confiscated and destroyed immediately without
question".  They are also just plain prohibited to own on base.

I contacted the base veterinarian and he did tell me that, yes he agrees
there is a rabies/distemper shot for them, but it is not recognized by the
military.  So I have a fully vaccinated (papers to prove) ferret, that could
be destroyed if it was ever found out.  Yet my neighbors can own two full
grown rotwielers (no offense to dog lovers but you see my point).

I am willing to take on the entire system to educate these morons of their
misinformed rule and change the law so I can keep my fuzzy in this
supposedly "free country".  But I need some support.  Comments and
advice would be much appreciated.