Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 09:34:59 -0700
Last year I did a posting on camping with your ferrets.  I can't remember
when so I give have it looked up in the archives so I will basically share
some info with all would like to go camping with your ferrets.  First of
all, housing a ferret in a carrier all weekend is not fair to your ferret,
so your next available option is usually the tent.  Tent are made of flimsy
light material for the most part and a ferret can make a hole in them quite
easily.

Second, Most folks go camping when it hot out and temps inside a tent
easily reach levels that will kill your ferret in no time from heat
prostration.

Thirdly, wild animals!!!!!!  I have two clients in particular, one who lost
a ferret that was tethered to a tree and another shocking as it seems, had
her baby ferret snatched from hers arms by a hawk and watched in horror as
her baby was eaten in a tree not far away.

Summary, unless your ferret can waterski, drive the boat, cook meals and
fight off predators, board them with your local ferret shelter while your
are gone.  That way, they will be safe and in the hands of someone in the
know about ferrets.  Be careful of family, friends who don't know ferrets
watching over your precious fuzzies.  I had more than a dozen clients tell
me that their roomate or someone else was watching their ferrets and they
came home to a ferret so sick they ended up dying despite good medical
care.  Your ferrets can get depressed while you are away, so it helps when
they are at a shelter that will recognize this immediately and take steps
to alleviate the problem.

Hugs to all, and have fun camping,
Ferretguy