From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 20:01:16 -0500
Shirley wrote:
>Unfortunately Twinkie died 3 days later.  Autopsy showed a fungal infection
>in the lungs.  Another of Gerry's ferrets, Scruff, came down with the same
>symptoms and in the absence of any report from the pathologist at that
>stage, the vet administered Oxytetracyclin 40 mg IMI with Depomodral 4mg.
>Two days later, Scruff was eating like a beauty and active once more.
>Neither ferret had a cough or showed any other symptoms.

Shirley, I am sorry to learn that Twinkie died, but so glad that Gerry had
a necropsy and pathology done to find the cause.  It sounds ironic, but
often a necropsy is the best way to save lives.  Glad it worked out for the
others, and thanks for teaching us all about the fungal possibility.

Wendy, while it's possible for adrenals to cause fur loss anywhere
(including tail) if a ferret has no other symptoms beyond tail fur loss
which make you think adrenal then consider skin disease as a possible
cause.  It is NOT uncommon for ferrets to lose TAIL fur ALONE from acne,
dry skin, or some other dermal and easily corrected problems.  It's their
dermal trouble spot, that's all.  Ask your vet about this.