From:
Lynn Burroughs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 11:14:11 EST
To the anonymous poster asking the name of the drug used to boost the white
count:

Sorry to hear about the tough time you've had.  It's difficult to watch them
decline and not be able to do anything about it.

As a reformed chemo patient (I now have hair ;-) ), I'm very familiar with
the drug you're referring to.  Neupogen (filgrastim) has revolutionized
chemotherapy by allowing people to handle higher doses without landing in the
hospital every time.  In humans it usually takes a couple of days to bring
counts up, but it works great.  With Neupogen my granulocyte count could go
from 100 to 9,000 in four days.

If anyone ever runs into a similar situation and needs Neupogen for a ferret,
I would suggest contacting a private ocology practice directly.  An oncology
nurse told me of an occasion when the practice sold a few vials (around $230
each?) to a vet for use on a dog.

Dr. Williams:

We've all been thinking about you and send our most sincere condolences.
Glad you're back.

Thanks again for recommending Dr. Weiss.  I couldn't be more pleased.  My
sissy-ferret Guinness, who is terrified of strangers, actually invited
Dr. Weiss to play.  I was amazed.

Cheers,
Lynn Burroughs