From:
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 14:40:08 -0800
>From:    The Ferretously Funky One <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: No MF Tattoos: neutered or not?

Pet store employees are amazingly deft at not having a clue where their
animals came from.  Lars from Quality Ferrets told me of a time they took a
ferret back from a pet store and the store tried to give THEM a Marshall
package.  But in defense of the employees, the management doesn't tell them.

You'll know about Kili within 4 or 5 months.  I wouldn't panic.  Altering
males is not as critical as spaying females.  If he grows obvious sacs, and
I mean obvious then he wasn't altered.  More than likely Kili is from Path
Valley or another ranch that is as careful as Marshall.  There is a smaller
chance he is from one of the less careful ranches.  Path Valley ferret are
not tattooed so I'd suspect that.

In our experience though hobs either altered or not are usually more cuddily
so don't worry about that at all.

>From:    Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret FAQ 'n' stuff

I wouldn't publish it.  The main benefit of internet FAQs is the more timely
updates over hard copy publishing.  I know of two main medical texts on
ferrets, the Fox book and the new on I've got on ferrets, rabbits and
rodents.  The second has a 1997(!) copyright and I already see information
that is out of date in it.

You seem quite willing to let folks make pamphlets out of the document on an
informal basis.  That is good.  If you keep it in this "free" mode you'll be
able to use work from all of us who "publish" to the net.  If you try to do
a paper publication you'll start running into more copyright problems.  I
can get you in touch with folks that can publish though if you do feel like
going that direction - but be real careful.

The net is still growing and more and more folks get access.  It is getting
more and more distribution.  Publishing costs would have to be paid for so
the free FAQ would almost have to disappear.

>From:    Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Dogs and Ferrets/Canadian Ferrets/Overnight Lodgings/Shows?
>>From:    Kelly L White <[log in to unmask]>
>>but I heard that there may be some problem with Canadian ferrets,
>There are no problems with Canadian ferrets that you won't find in American
>ferrets as well.

Well the French speaking ferrets vs.  the English speaking ones for us
monolingual US Americans .... <grin>

>>What can we do to find out if she's been descented or spayed?

Don't panic is always a good first step.  As she ages watch her vulva.  If
it swells - if you don't know it most probably has not - then she needs to
go to a vet and get a hormone injection.  A couple weeks later get her
spayed.  The odds are very very much in favor of her having been spayed
properly.

>From:    Cherri <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Litter  & Thanks
>I was at a home show convention and noticed a gentleman that was selling
>wood pellet burning stoves and I asked him how much the pellets were $5.00
>for a 40 pound bag wow!!!

You've hit upon what we've recommended for quite a while.  Most of the local
breeders, shelters and the AFA folks use wood stove pellets.  Funny thing
that is also good is that if you can find the "cheaper" ones instead of the
premium pellets they work better as litter.  We usually get "stuck" with
premium pellets.  Odd how that works.  Actually we pay more like 3 or 4
dollars for 40 lbs around here (Northern Virginia).

>From:    Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Litters: *grump*

Where are you looking for pellets?  Try "Home Improvement" type stores -
Lowes, Home Depot etc.  Where do these people get there wood stoves?  Pool
supply stores are often seasonal and some around here do pools when its warm
and wood stoves when its cold.

There is another pellet litter Pam Grant uses, Cat Works or something.

For the rest of you who haven't looked into stove pellets...

See above.  Honest.  Really.  It works.  As cheap as it is you can dump it
quite often.  And since its a product designed and made out of waste
products from furniture manufacture it is ecologically sound.  You can toss
the whole mess into compost if you like.  Can it get any better?

>From:    Tanya M Vestal <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Grace/sitting funny; anklebiters; digging (Jason & Heidi)
>Every time he bit too hard, we said "NO!" and bit HIM

Not a flame but a concurrence.  We do this.  We know a lot of the shelter
and breeder folks do it as well.  Some choose a paw - be careful of bones!
Some choose nape of the neck where you scruff them.  A couple people choose
the nose.  It works as well as anything we know.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]