From:
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 14:49:21 -0800
>From:    Rochelle Newman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: effective duration of fervac
>With an adult ferret at distemper re-vaccination time, have any of you
>tried doing titers of some sort, to determine whether the prior
>vaccination was still effective, rather than simply revaccinating?  I
>suppose the real question I'm asking is, do we really know how long
>Fervac's immune response lasts?

When we talked with a vet from United Vaccine at a veterinary seminar he
stated approximately that wat you suggest is not a bad idea.  This is almost
scary to bring up because it might encourage negligance but it is possible
that a particular ferret may actually develop immunity that will last a
lifetime.  But without the titer tests its not a good gamble.  In testing
what was determined that "enough" of the ferrets had "enough" protection
for a year.  The same is probably true for the rabies vaccine though we
have not spoken to a vet specifically from the manufacturer.

A small consideration but only for the small portion of us that go to shows
is that the sponsoring/snactioning organizations have no way to deal with
titer tests instead of vaccination records.  Those ferrets that go to shows
would still need the shots.  Those that do not can follow this alternative
regimen.  As Rochelle states this is not to say you should just skip
vaccinations if you feel like it.

Now another bit of discouragement.  The tests will cost far more than the
vaccination.  This would only make sense for those ferrets that do have
allergic reactions.

>and I've had ferrets for 7 years and been on the FML for nearly 5, so
>while I'm not as experienced as many on the list, I am not altogether
>ignorant either.

Puts you right up with most of us that just talk more.

>From:    RaysGirl00 <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Pet News On Fox
>They did not talk about the shelter or anything to do with ferrets as
>pets.  They talked about how the ferret shows catagorize ferrets.

Too bad.  Though what this does highlight is that as we stated before
having these championship ferret shows will at least get some attention.
After we get the attention of potential ferret owners and even current
ferret owners it is then possible to help spread information that may not
have reached them otherwise.  Shows are not just ego-fests.

>From:    Joyce Henkel <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Tatoo Question & this & that

Sometimes two dots are so close together that they actually overlap.
Behavior is both inherited and environmental.  A better previous home will
lead to a better behaved ferret but it does not guarantee good behavior.

>From:    Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Bob C: Feral Ferrets Again

>No feral colony of ferrets exist in Ohio, even near "Ferrettown." When I
>have some time, I plan on visiting the area and searching through
>newspaper archives for stories in that time period that report those
>occurences so second-hand information can become documented.

Good luck.  In our searches there (NE of Columbus) we found very little.
It was "republished" by LIFE/Pam (then) Grant.  Ferrets were looked upon
much as something like chickens.  More or less ignored.  You don't often
hear about chickens that get loose - unless its a truck overturned on a
major highway.  We could find nothing left of all the major farms that used
to be there but we didn't have enough time to do a real good search.  Just
a couple days.

>From:    Unforgiven <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Differnt colored hairs
>I noticed a couple days ago that my li'l Kenda is getting gray hairs on
>his knees and on his throat

These are signs of the Waardensbueg gene.  Nothing to worry about.  Check
the toes Kenda may end up with at least some mitts.  Also check the back
of the head right near the base of the skull to see if a "wannabe blaze"
marking shows up.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/