From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2007 07:21:28 -0500
This was posted to the FML a couple of days ago. I had hoped someone
else would comment on it.......

>When the time comes for Amoxy dose, I mix it right in with Carafate

Mixing any med with Carafate/Sucralfate would render it useless, to my
understanding. Carafate coats the stomach and intestines, which would
not allow any medications to be absorbed. The protocol I use is to give
Carafate, wait 15-20 minutes (Dr. Williams recommends a 10 minute wait)
to feed, then wait 45-60 minutes to administer meds. I believe you can
also give the meds an hour or so before giving the Carafate. The point
is that the Carafate needs to be out of the system in order for the
body to absorb meds. The question is how long that takes. To my
knowledge, in ferrets, it is less than 30 minutes.

Katharine