From:
Dee Vecchione <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 17:09:02 -0500
Hi!

Last Sunday morning I was watching The Pet Shop with Mark Marrone on Fox,
and they were talking about "domestic" pets.

The subject of ferrets came up, and Mark handed Splash, his blaze ferret
to the former head of the ASPCA.  Sorry, but I can't remember the guy's
name.  He started out by saying that what we call the ferret is actually
the European stoat and that they have been domesticated for thousands of
years.  He stated that they were used for ratting, etc, etc.  He said
that they are wonderful pets and that for some ludicrous reason NYC and
California have banned them and incorrectly list them as wild life.

So far, so good.  I'm thinking....Alright!  A ferret advocate!  Then the
guy goes and blows it by saying..."I wouldn't recommend that you let them
near a sleeping baby or small children without supervision.....but they
are good pets."  So much for that.

I wouldn't let any animal be unsupervised around a baby or toddler.
Why did he have to single out ferrets?  Because of a few unproven or
extremely rare instances/ Comments like that just feed into the negative
image that ferrets already have.

Dodie in NJ