Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:47:28 EDT
Hi,

I thought some of you may be interested in hearing about my ferrets with
Insulinoma.  None of my ferrets have had surgery and have only been on
Pred once a day.

Snuggles - 7 1/2 years old.  Snuggles has been on Pred and Bob's chicken
gravy for the past 4 1/2 years.  When I first found out that he had
Insulinoma his Blood glucose count was 56, the next time he had his Blood
checked before he had surgery it was 100.  He has not had any hind leg
weakness.  He does get tried easy and does the flat ferret flop often.
But other then that is doing just great, except he now has a Pred belly.

Cinnamon Bear - 5 1/2 years old.  Cinnamon Bear has never been the most
healthy ferret from the time he was a year old.  His last blood glucose
test came back 20 and has been on Pred and Chicken gravy since.  He also
has not had any hind leg weakness and so far no seizures.  But even with
the chicken gravy, he doesn't seem to be gaining weight.  Cinnamon Bear
may also have the begins of Adrenal although an ultrasound never showed
anything and he has not lost a lot of fur except for rattail in the
summer.

Ashes - 5 1/2 years old.  Just in the past month he had a seizure and I
have put him on Pred and Chicken gravy daily.  Thanks to the fast reaction
in getting Karo syrup and Dyne on his gums, when he had his seizure, he
came out of it pretty fast.  He now seems fine and like most of my
business here loves to be hand fed every morning their warm Chicken Gravy.

At this time I hand feed 7 ferrets, two that have the signs of Adrenal
and are on Lupron.  One that just seems to need a little extra attention,
not sure what Tinkerbelles problem.

I have ferrets ranging in ages of 2 1/2 to 7 1/2 years and only 7 of them
at this time seem to have any medical problems.

Charleen and the Wa. Tails