Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:09:39 -0600
Hi Lisa,

My personal feeling is that Lupron is a great alternative to surgical
intervention when surgery is not an option.  We've had only one ferret
have a poor recovery from adrenal surgery and so lupron became his
alternative.  Although he did not grow back hair, it did help him in
many other ways.  My posting on Spaz ran a couple of days ago and you
can go back and read it if you would like.

Lupron has traditionally been given to ferrets that are older or that
are deemed not to be able to withstand a surgery.  Of the four personal
ferrets we had adrenal surgery done on, the first one sprouted hair very
quickly (within days).  Two more took a month or two.  And one took
nearly a year to grow her hair back.  Lupron can also take time to
"kick in".

I know of 4 ferrets presently that are on monthly shots of Lupron and
all are doing very well.  They have good coats, and their aggressive
behaviour has settled down.  Dribbles of urine are now just a memory.  In
the past I have witnessed a number of ferrets that have improved quite
well after receiving their Lupron treatments.  I think I have only seen
one case where Lupron did not do anything beneficial to the ferret
involved.  Our vet also has seen many great outcomes to the ferrets he
has treated with Lupron.  He does not hesitate to offer it up as an
alternative these days.

You should be aware that it may take some months for the outward signs
of the adrenal disease to disappear.  As each ferret is different, so is
their reaction as per a time frame to the Lupron.  Should you decide to
go this route, remember to give it time.  You may not see results right
away.  And bear in mind that while it is not a cure for the disease, it
may also be used to aid an adrenal ferret in getting stronger to prepare
for surgery as it is being presently used on one ferret I know.

Good luck in your decision. And keep us posted.

betty and her blur o'fur
for the love of ferrets