From:
Carolina Arismendi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:50:40 EDT
Hello

I am wondering if any ferret parents out there could share some of their
adrenal disease experiences with me.  My Everest had both his adrenal
gland removed approximately 2 and a half years ago due to adrenal gland
disease.  He is now 4.  About 6 months ago I noticed his tail loosing
hair and his fur getting thinner and more brittle (he's always had thin
fur but it was getting thinner) and his skin was very flaky and dry
(itchy).  I mentioned it to my vet who told me it is possible for the
adrenal disease to reappear, even after both glands are removed.  We went
ahead and did the adrenal panel, and the tests came back that he did in
fact have it again.  Everest also has liver problems for which he takes
Immuran and Actigal (he went through 2 surgeries last July).  Due to his
age (4), other health problems and the fact that the adrenal can always
come back we decided not to put him through a fourth surgery and instead
put him on the monthly Lupron injections.  He has been on Lupron for 2
months now and I have not seen any improvements with his tail or fur.
Just about all of his tail is bald (except for the very top) and his fur
looks thinner and more brittle and his skin has not improved.

Here are my questions:

How long before you started to notice improvements with fur and skin?

Did your ferret have any side effects from the medication?

Have the Lupron injections been effective as far as his quality and
length of life?

Does your ferret appear to be comfortable/happy?

Are there any medical concerns/siqns of the adrenal disease that I should
be watching for?

Did the Lupron keep the adrenal disease under control and ferret healthy?

Is there anything else I can be giving/or doing for Everest to help him
deal with this disease.

My vet tells me that with these Lupron injection he can still have a very
normal life and the adrenal can be kept under control....is this what
your vet tells you and what you've experienced as well?

My last set of questions: When Everest originally had both adrenal glands
removed, he needed to be put on 1/4 Florinef and prednisone daily for the
rest of his life.  My vet is now trying to take him off the prednisone
gradually.  Is there anyone out there who has a ferret which both adrenal
glands were removed??  If so what medications will he/she have to take?
I suppose what I really want to know is, if your ferret is on prednisone
or not?

I apologize for the extremely long e-mail.  I've gone through so much
with this little guy, and I just want to do everything I possibly can
for him.  Thank you in advance for all your assistance.

Carolina and ferret Everest