From:
john rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 04:35:39 -0400
I wonder why such a large pet store chain like PET-SMART, doesn`t sell
Ferrets?  They are one of, if not the, largest pet store chains in the
country!  I don`t think the `non-availibity` of kits has hurt THIS chain
store!!  And so I do not think that a `smaller` pet store, non-chain,
would suffer TOO MUCH , from their absence either!  After all, their main
profit items do not breathe, but rather entertain, treat, clean, feed,
amuse, etc.-( toys, treats & supplements, shampoos & repellents, food,,)
and everything else we end up buying when we visit these stores for our
loving pets!!  I also have obtained about half of my Ferrets from pet
stores, the other half, rescues or shelters.  But I know that each time
i`d go into Petco, or any size store that had kits `displayed`, I would
feel pity for the animal, whether in a cage, or the `all to common`
Aquarium with a net top!!  If people would, (or could), stop buying these
babies, then supply is greater than demand...hence, the kits would be a
liability, not an asset, to the store`s profit tallies!!  Logically, the
store will end the purchase of them, and MOST of us who love them, but
don`t see them there, will happily go about spending too much money on
spoiling our pets with goodies!  This also holds true for other species
in some pet stores, such as DOGS,-puppies.  You have seen them, in small
cases, high-priced, and supportive of PUPPY MILLS, which I KNOW, ARE in
it for fast profit.

My sister,wanted a Bichon pup for my elderly parents, and through an ad,
6 puppies were brought to HER HOUSE, to pick from.  4 from 1 litter, and
2 from 2 other separate litters!!  A CHOICE!  HOW NICE!!  The person
transporting them there, was from N.J., where I am from, but the puppies
were from Pa.!  She was doing it for-fee & for her friends in Pa.!  All
with their own sweet inherant irregularities, which might show up sooner
or later.  Puppy Mills, Ferret Farms, MF, FFF, PV, basically all under
one category; `Assembly Line Production,` or should I say Re-production??
There are a couple of pet shops here, that only have puppies set out in
small transport cages, only during October, Nov., & of course, December.
The Ferret TANKS are also usually full.

Nice, this human race that we are!!  Let`s ALL hope for a cure for the
common `xtra profit margin`!  It`s NOT a perfect world, and I don`t have
all the answers, but when kits are sold to their "Forever Homes" from pet
stores, care info.  provided or not, many, if not most, end up set loose,
sheltered, or just plain uncared for to death.  SouthJersey Ferret
Rescue, a very fine `no-kill` shelter, was contacted by me, when my
neighbor wanted to get rid of his 2 remaining ferrets.  2 out of 4 he
had.  I had not seen their condition upon pick-up, But I was emailed by
SJFR that they both were advanced Adrenal, Flea ridden, and one had a
broken leg!  When asked what happened to the other two, his answer was,
`they just died`!  And guess what?, The 4 were obtained thru a rescue 2
yrs. earlier!  If that can happen to Rescue Ferrets with their rigid
adopt. process, what about the "Oh, their so cute", buyers of ferrets
from any size pet store?  Supply & demand, and Demand & supply.  They
are very complicated pets, these carpet sharks, and not everyone makes
GOOD owners!!  Think....!!

thanks, john r. jdr.