From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - FERRET BUSINESS of GA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 23:25:29 -0400
>From:    hotdish <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Marshall Farms
>The only way I have come up with to "make a dent" in the profits of these
>large breeding farms is to put together a website where breeders from all
>areas or the US, can post all of their stock and have a simple order form
>available for these large chain stores to order from (I am told that is
>>the main reason they go through these farms; the convenience of "one-stop
>shopping).  Then, I would team with a vet(s) (possibly a chain) to give a
>discount or some type of rebate for spaying/neutering (at the right time,
>when sex organs have matured).

This sound like a great idea...that I would like to see taken 1 step
further.  Imagine if all ferrets were being acquired directly from
reputable breeders & shelters, & not being purchased from pet stores
whose bottom line is their only incentive.  I've dreamed of a system
where the pet store would supply a voucher which would be presented at
the shelter/breeder.  The shelter/breeder would pay a very small commission
to the pet store for sending the customer.  This type of a system would
provide customers to pet stores (because the shelter/breeder would promote
those stores for the needed supplies), & gross profit without using
valuable shelf space, initial outlay for the animal, or maintenance
supplies or employee resources for the animals' upkeep.  Shelters/Breeders
would profit by receiving more exposure, placing more fosters, & selling
more stock (at their discretion).  This type of a system would ensure that
someone who wants a ferret has the info needed to make an informed decision
about whether or not a ferret is the right pet to fit into their family's
lifestyle, as well as the necessary care and medical info.

Any comments?

>On another note: I think the moderator of this board does an outstanding
>job!

DITTO!!!

Juliana  (770) 984-1417 <[log in to unmask]>
FERRET BUSINESS of GA
(fer'it`biz'nis) n.  1 Ferret foster care & adoption.
     2 Info about ferret care & ownership.  3 What a ferret does.
     4 A collection of ferrets.  5 A direct result of ferret math.
/That's BUSINESS as in a bunch of ferrets folks./